Things to do as a peace intern on midsummer retreat in Enid, Oklahoma:
- Chill at the Spring Hill Suites.
- Appreciate Oklahoma’s gentle breezes and temperate climate on a 108 degree summer afternoon.
- Tour Vance Air Force base and watch the constant stream of planes fly overhead.
- Train to be a fighter pilot on a real Air Force flight simulator. (It’s the world’s greatest video game!)
- Eat delicious church-cooked chicken tetrazzini.
- Go to Sonic after 8 PM for half-price shakes.
- Meet some cowboys who moonlight as actors in Western films.
- Audition to be a cast member in a straight-to-DVD Western film.
- Have fun with the boys at the YMCA.
- Hang with the locals and do lots of singing.
- Get backstage passes to an up-and-coming band and be featured in a live performance.
- Have the lead singer of said band be your boss.
- Visit Oklahoma’s Vietnam Memorial and meet the mayor of Enid and a state senator.
- Learn how to entertain yourself while spending 8 hours in the OKC airport.
- Take a walk through Candyland Park or stroll along a bike trail.
- Learn about Chisholm Trail and Will Rogers and why Sooner is better than later
- Be a part of some powerful worship services and keynotes and share your experiences as a peace intern.
But most importantly, relax, reflect, regroup, and ready yourself for the second half of summer!
Jonathan Cahill is a 2014 Disciples Peace Fellowship Intern, sponsored by Federated Church of West Lafayette.